Tutorials

Cue dramatic music

I would love to use ivoyager as the basis of a game, however I am not the brightest bulb in the box and need a bit of handholding. Godot has a reputation of a hobbyist project, which means it attracts those with all sorts of technical abilities.

A quick list that I cam up in my poking around:

• How to create a solar system from scratch
  • How to make a simple game (pew pew!) [not to mention the issues with floating point physics!]
  • What needs to be synchronized for multiplayer

Comments

• By the way, I found an awesome example of godot library tutorials.
  • croxis said:

A quick list that I cam up in my poking around:

• How to create a solar system from scratch

I, Voyager uses tsv tables to generate the solar system(s) by default. Check out ivoyager/data/solar_system. There is a readme that explains some important stuff. Generally on making your own you'd just fill out all the stuff for new things and the system builder should work it's magic. I can't confirm this as I'm personally going to be generating systems pseudorandomly so I won't be using the built in generator that pulls from these files, but it should work.
    croxis said:
    • How to make a simple game (pew pew!) [not to mention the issues with floating point physics!]

Uhh not gonna lie this one is not a simple question at all! I wouldn't even know where to begin. I would build systems on top of what I, Voyager is providing generally though (using the I, Voyager extension system). Like for spaceship you make a spaceship class that extends body and add your spaceship logic there, and let the I, Voyager body class "do the heavy lifting" for orbits. Or if it's just a planet economy simulator or something then work on building that economic layer and use references to bodies, make the GUI, etc..

This question is really not an easy one to answer.
    croxis said:
    • What needs to be synchronized for multiplayer

Timekeeper has some sync functions already built in, and state manager briefly talks about a NetworkLobby class, but it is pretty vague. I'd love and example from Charlie but I imagine that's pretty low on his priority list :).
    Generally the simulation time, and the state of all objects would need to remain synced for multiplayer. So body positions, any statuses for stuff you've made like spaceships (if player A damages player B's spaceship, you need to sync that with Player C for example). There is a general high level tutorial on the godot docs and I know there are a few demo projects with networking that exist somewhere to take a look at.

I plan on tackling networking for my project at some point in the future. I'm probably shooting myself in the foot not designing/doing it from the start, but I'm pretty whelmed already and I think doing it from the start would push me over the edge! Redoing stuff later on just I'll get to look at it with more experienced eyes too I suppose.