How to add scene to solar system tree

edited August 2020 in General
Once the solar system is built, I need to add some satellites to the solar system.

I added a scene as a child of 'Universe' in the editor, but when the sim is running the script on the scene does not run.

So, how can I add a scene to the solar system tree?

Thanks

Comments

• I'm prepping for a hurricane right now... I'll try to give a full answer after that blows over and I have internet again.  :o
  • Charlie W said:
    I'm prepping for a hurricane right now... I'll try to give a full answer after that blows over and I have internet again.  :o
    Stay safe!
  • edited December 2020
    Well, the hurricane was just a bit of rain. Sorry for the long hiatus in the project.

This question really demands a long answer or a full tutorial.

The short answer is that you should not add scenes to Universe in the editor. You add scenes, nodes or references using ProjectBuilder (see ivoyager/singletons/project_builder.gd). You have to know whether your scene is "procedural" or not. See comments in project_builder.gd. See examples in the replace_me/replace_me.gd file (in the project template repository) or in the planetarium/planetarium.gd file (in the planetarium repository).

Just a "big picture" suggestion: You should NEVER change anything in the ivoyager directory unless you intend to do a "pull request" (i.e., to submit a proposed change for the core submodule). If you do you will have a nightmare trying to update to new ivoyager versions. Your project should be built "externally" and hooked up using existing ivoyager systems.